I was reading old blog entries today from my personal blog and found this one on a book that was just recently added to our library. I thought I’d share it here as well. It was originally posted here: So this is me.
I started a new book today…& wanted to pass on a recommendation. I confess I have only read the first chapter so far. Wink But it looks to be excellent. It is one of the book selections from the Wesleyan Women this year. There are two copies circulating through our Church ladies right now. One of which is currently in my possession.
You Matter More Than You Think by Leslie Parrot.
Here’s a little teaser from the first chapter…
She is talking about how we don’t need to compare ourselves to the women around us. But that we are in our lives, in the lives of those around us are making a difference. How we all wonder at one time or another if what we are doing matters.
* “There is no one like the woman you are comparing yourself to, whomever it might be. And there is no one just like you. We are each designed to our own distinctive difference in the lives we live.” (p 19)
* That means we will not compare ourselves with each other as if one of us were better and another worse. We have far more interesting things to do with our lives. Each of us is an original. (Galatians 5:26 MSG)
* “And we are original. Every woman is one of a kind” (p 20)
* Make a careful exploration of who you are and the work you have been given, and then sink yourself into that. Don’t be impressed with yourself. Don’t compare yourself with others. Each of you must take responsibility for doing the creative best you can with your own life. (Galatians 6:4-5 MSG)
* “A life that makes a difference is all about love; that’s what matters most.” (p21)
* “Because God is love, the most important thing we ever do is Love. It is in loving that we are most like Him.” (p 21)
* It’s not what you do, but how much love you put into what you do that matters. ~ Mother Teresa
On Christmas Eve the furniture was moved back into the freshly carpeted space. Its a bit smaller, but should still be a wonderful little space to pick up a good read, chat with friends or have a smallish Bible study. I encourage you to stop in and check it out.
In light of the New Year being there are some devotional books available to borrow if you looking for something to enhance your time with the Lord as we begin 2012.
This morning I was taking some time to work on the BLOGS I contribute to, both the Library and the Wesleyan Womens page. It lead me to work on our goodreads section as well.
I added a shelf to the Women’s Blog, so far only containing the book selection for this year. It was a really good one though. If you have not read it yet you should check it out! Same Kind of Different as Me.
I also created a Book Club shelf which can be viewed on the side bar here, so you can see what books the Book Club as read so far as well as the current selection. The current selection is The Ultimate Blessing by JoAnne Lyon. The meeting date as yet to be decided, but will be late in January, ensuring plenty of time to get it read after the holidays! I believe there is a copy in the Library if you are interested, as it was written on the list of books I was entering today. The library is still in a bit of disarray but we are getting closer to having it serviceable again! If you are interested in reading the library copy you can seek me out, I would be happy to locate it for you! I am so happy that the library was also included in the new carpet portion of the make over, I can hardly wait to see it back up and running and get our furniture cleaned and moved back in!
As I just mentioned I also added roughly thirty library titles to our Goodreads shelves. Several of them sparked my interest. I added them to my own ever growing, “to-read” list. I encourage you if you are a reader to add CWC Library as your “friend” on goodreads.com. Then you can be automatically updated (if you so choose) when new books are added, or reviews are added.
I am happy to report that the renovations are coming along! Soon we should be able to get the library cleaned up and back in service!
The book club is meeting on Tuesday the 13th in the Green Room. The new selection is God With Us written by our own JoAnne Jones. Rumor has it if you come to book club you may be able to get the author to sign your copy!
Personally I just finally read last months selection Heaven is for Real. I highly recommend it!
If you were in Church on Sunday you may have noticed the remodeling under way. I peeked in the library and am slightly apprehensive about the new wall placement. :/ I have been encouraged by many that all will be well and I am sure it will.
I hope you will bear with us during this time of remodeling. Soon the library will once again be fully functional although slightly smaller. I am trying to think of it as cozy! Come back soon to check it out.
Several of us have discussed starting a book club in September. A once a month meeting to discuss a contemporary Christian book. The first title suggested is “The Shack”, once again on the NY Times best-seller list. You have the rest of the summer to a grab a copy and read! Any thought? See Joanne Jones.
**There is one copy of The Shack in the Library.**